Month: July 2014

Dial-in from the PSTN – fixed!

I’ve managed to fix the settings for the VoIP provider we’re using, to allow inward system access from the PSTN.

So now, if you phone the (secret) magic phone number, it will now actually recognise the PIN when you enter it and let you in.

Router issues, BT Broadband and DMZPlus

I spent 3 episodes of Star Trek TNG last night going round in circles with the Norchard router. It’s doing something very odd.

What’s supposed to happen

  1. Call setup traffic (SIP) comes in from the internet, hits the port forwarding rules and is passed on to the asterisk
  2. Voice traffic (RTP) comes in from the internet, hits the port forwarding rules and is passed on to the asterisk
  3. Voice traffic from the asterisk is passed back out to the internet

What’s happening

  1. Call setup traffic (SIP) comes in from the internet, hits the port forwarding rules and is passed on to the asterisk
  2. Voice traffic (RTP) comes in from the internet, misses the port forwarding rules completely and is passed on to “DMZPlus” which is a feature of the router that forwards all traffic to a pre-defined computer without filtering it.

So the RTP stream is being forwarded to the wrong place, never hits the Asterisk, which is why I can see calls being set up but no one gets any audio.

However, what I can’t determine is where “DMZPlus” is sending the voice traffic. None of the “connected devices” appear to be configured for DMZPlus, and there’s nothing in the special DHCP pool the router uses for that function.

I can attempt to set up the asterisk box as the DMZPlus target, which should bypass the flaky port forwarding on the router, however doing that remotely is risky as if anything happens in the wrong order I’ll be locked out from remote management so won’t be able to fix it. It’ll have to wait until I’m on site.

Saturday work, on-site

Once again, the BT Business Broadband router “forgot” its port-forwarding config on Thursday, which has led to a patchy telephony experience and a lack of remote access.

Unfortunately this needs me to be on-site to fix it, as without the port-forwarding config I have no remote access – so I can’t easily put it back remotely!

With that done I turned my attention to the ATA in the Norchard exchange. I traced the fault to a patch lead in the shop office which had been disturbed. A quick wiggle of the cables and we’re back in business.

Dynamic DNS woes – again – resolved!

We’re off the net again. This time it’s because Microsoft have seized control of the domain names used by our Dynamic DNS provider. More details are here: https://www.noip.com/blog/2014/06/30/ips-formal-statement-microsoft-takedown/

I’m doing the switch-dynamic-dns-providers dance again…

Update 21:00: It looks like the changes have propagated at least as far as everyone who has an ATA so we should all be back on and chatting again.

Apart from me – as I’ve had to switch my asterisk and PAX off and cover them in a dust sheet as I’m having my fireplace enlarged tomorrow and don’t want to fill the selectors with dust!