Month: August 2014

Our first power failure on the new UPS batteries

We had a 30 second power failure today (times are in UTC)

Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:56:03 +0100 Power Failed!!!
Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:56:32 +0100 Power Restored

The UPS did its thing, and the asterisk box stayed up. It looks like the Norchard broadband didn’t, so that’ll take a little while to sort itself out (as usual)

I’m glad I replaced those batteries now!

UPS Batteries

norchard_asterisk

The power at Norchard is a little unreliable at times so the Asterisk server is protected by a UPS.

The picture shows the UPS (on the left), the BT Voyager 220 router which we’ve re-purposed as an ATA for test purposes (on top of the UPS) and the asterisk box itself (on the right)

The UPS is an APC SmartUPS 1500 which was donated to us a few years back.

It’s been complaining recently that its batteries are deader than a doornail, nailed through the foot of a dodo. Which isn’t surprising, as they’re 10 years old at this point.

A couple of weeks ago I sourced some reasonably priced replacements from Amazon, and I spent 45 minutes this morning wrestling the UPS down from its shelf and swapping out its batteries.

It’s now cheerfully reporting that its batteries are in good health, and that with the current load (just the Asterisk) it should be able to run for a little over 1.5 hours if we have a mains failure.

Today was also John Bathgates 80th Birthday party. Happy birthday John!