Asterisk to UAX Junctions – Update

Over the Christmas period, I spent quite a lot of time giving out Asterisk config a good going over, trying to identify the root cause of it not always releasing junctions at the end of a SIP->UAX call.

In the process, I found and fixed several issues.

  • We now pause slightly before dialling, to play a little nicer with slow line finders.
  • Whenever we use Dial to send a call out to the UAX, we explicitly jump to the (h)angup extension, so that we can trap the end of the call
  • We’re now a bit more thorough about logging what we’re doing as a call progresses. This isn’t a “fix” as such, but it does help debugging intermittent errors
  • Our DAHDI config was using Loop Start (ls) rather than the preferred KewlStart (ks) signalling. ks is supposedly a bit better at disconnect supervision
  • We upgraded from Debian Wheezy to Debian Jessie. This gives us an upgrade to a more recent version of asterisk
  • In sip.conf we now set an rtp timeout so that we end the call if we don’t receive any RTP (audio) traffic for 60 seconds. This should help to end calls which haven’t been torn down properly
  • We turned off “SIP ALG” on the BT Business Hub router as this seems to be causing SIP packets to occasionally go astray
  • We were rotating the logs a little aggressively and were only keeping a couple of weeks. This has been expanded so we now keep several months – which should make retrospectively investigating issues easier.

With all that done, we decided last week to reinstate one of the junctions from Asterisk to UAX. By only enabling a single junction, we can easily detect when it gets stuck (as any subsequent calls will get NU from the asterisk)

It’s been back up for a week, and so far it’s working well. I’m still keeping an eye on it, and will continue to do so for a while before we re-enable the second junction.