It seems that the status page stopped working back in December. I’ve fixed it, and the graphs are working again now.
I managed to get to site yesterday with Peter, and the asterisk is now back on line and working again.
The fault turned out to be with the BT router at Norchard (again!)
This time it was a new failure mode I haven’t seen before. It had the port forwarding rules configured, but for some reason had decided it didn’t want to actually use them any more.
I took the port forwarding off and put it back again and everything sprung back to life.
The Asterisk is currently offline (mostly)
Some classes of call can be completed in some circumstances (eg calling the speaking clock on 400 works)
Some calls complete but with no audio (I believe calls between our home phones do this)
All calls out to the strowger network fail.
Calls in from the sipgate dial in number get as far as the voice prompt on the asterisk box itself, but can’t dial out into the strowger and seem to have the same audio problems (ie if I call my voip number I get no audio)
My remote access has stopped working, so I can’t troubleshoot it in detail from here, detailed troubleshooting will have to wait until I’m able to get on-site. Unfortunately that’s not until Saturday 9th April.
Updates will follow on here as and when I know anything.