downtime

Downtime – fixed

It looks like at about 6pm on 12th July 2016, our external IP address changed at Norchard (so much for “BT Business – Static IP”) but for some reason our dynamic DNS didn’t catch up.

So the asterisk has been effectively offline since then. Service was restored at around 4pm on 14th July when I noticed it was down!

My phones are still offline (including his C*Net and SipGate numbers) due to some technical glitches at home, but that’s unrelated!

Asterisk back online – 2016-03-19

I managed to get to site yesterday with Peter, and the asterisk is now back on line and working again.

The fault turned out to be with the BT router at Norchard (again!)

This time it was a new failure mode I haven’t seen before. It had the port forwarding rules configured, but for some reason had decided it didn’t want to actually use them any more.

I took the port forwarding off and put it back again and everything sprung back to life.

Saturday work, on-site

Once again, the BT Business Broadband router “forgot” its port-forwarding config on Thursday, which has led to a patchy telephony experience and a lack of remote access.

Unfortunately this needs me to be on-site to fix it, as without the port-forwarding config I have no remote access – so I can’t easily put it back remotely!

With that done I turned my attention to the ATA in the Norchard exchange. I traced the fault to a patch lead in the shop office which had been disturbed. A quick wiggle of the cables and we’re back in business.

Dynamic DNS woes – resolved

Our Dynamic DNS provider http://dnsdynamic.org seems to be having problems at the moment, and our wonderful BT Broadband has decided it wants to change its IP address right at this moment.

The practical upshot is that we’ve been offline since about 2pm yesterday. I’m working on a fix.

Update: Yesterday I changed our dynamic dns provider to http://noip.com, and it looks like my changes propagated by around 10:30pm last night – so we’re back in business.